Kia ora all potential runners/walkers and interested parties. This is event update 3 as we are about two months out from event date. There will probably be 1 more update & a race info. Sheet (to look at/print off) between now and event day (Sun 19th June). Please pass on this info to anyone else who may be interested!
Registration: Hopefully, by now, you have seen that we have a simple online process for registration available via the event’s website up & going. It would be much easier for both yourselves, & us, if you can register for the event & make your donation to either The Mental Health Foundation or The Heart of Biking Cycle Trail Trust beforehand. We will then allocate each entrant a race number which will be available for collection the day before the event (Sat 18th June) at The Shoe Clinic, Bridge St, NN. The registration here will be manned from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. It would be appreciated if you could pick up your race number & be registered in the day before so as to speed up things on event day!
Please note that if your are entering the 2 person relay then please ‘check’ the box to enter as a ‘ mixed team’ regardless of gender of the 2 people. All 2 person relay teams are classified as Mixed Teams!
Huge thanks to Harrison Dean and Harness Communications (www.harness.kiwi) for making the online entry process possible!
If , & only if, your honestly estimated time is likely to be over 4 hrs for the full marathon please check the box on the registration site for wanting an early start i.e. 8 a.m.
I have decided (for this year) to remain with just having the categories of Male/ Female for the marathon, so this is why your age is not asked for in the registration process. Two categories, Male & female, simple as that, regardless of age…
Please remember to bring along a small something to donate as a spot prize when you register in on Sat 18th June! You can send someone else to pick up your race no: so long as they know your details (& bring along a spot prize to donate!)
Food by payment: this year we will again have the very popular hearty soup & rolls available close to the race finish (post race from approx 12.30) ‘for event participants’. To cover costs we request $5 (cash) per person for soup & a roll. The soup went very quickly last year! The Honest Lawyer also has a wide range of meals & bar foods available for purchase.
Categories available for entries.
Full Marathon Run 42.2km (solo) Male or Female
NB. Just because you enter as a runner doesn’t mean you can’t walk a bit as need be!
Full Marathon Walk (i.e. walk the whole way!) Not differentiated by gender
Marathon Relay (i.e. 2 person team, tag at at Rabbit Is. Change shed)
You can enter the relay either as a RUN team (i.e. where at least one of the team members runs at least some of the way) or WALK team (i.e. where both the team must walk ‘all the way’!).
6 person relay: In conjunction with the event The Waimea Harriers are also running a 6 person relay! The event is open to all; you do not have to be a club member of any kind! The legs are varying distances (from around 6km to around 9 km) and this event is also free. See: http://www.waimeaharriers.nz/mid-winter-relay and/ or contact Club president Eileen Beattie via email@example.com
As a first time marathoner you will receive a commemorative medal if you complete the distance. Please indicate this (honestly!) when registering online. I think your first time is a big deal!!
All solo marathoners who complete the distance (running or walking) will receive a commemorative certificate!
8 a.m. for all Full marathon ‘walkers’ & 2 person marathon ‘walking’ teams + (‘& only for those who request it during the registration process!’) 4 hr+ marathoners.
9 a.m. (i.e. full marathon runners & 2 person relay runners + 6 person relay teams)
Time cut offs!: Hopefully everyone off the course by 3 p.m.? (i.e. 7 hours!)
Warm up events:
Below are a few, suggested, local (ish) events to consider having a crack at along the way to building up for your marathon.
- For the next two Weds eves 20th & 27th Turf Hotel Autumn 5km eve series. 6. p.m. start, open to all, runners/walkers $3 entry fee.
- Sat 23rd April Maitai Valley; cross country around Branford Park area; approx 6km; The President’s Trophy; starts 2.30pm Organised by Ath NN (no need to be a member) See http://athletics.nelson.co.nz/
- Sat 1st May Nelson Half marathon/ 10km/5km. From Saxton Oval. See: http://athletics.nelson.co.nz/nelsonhalfmarathon
- Sat 7th May Hanmer Half marathon/10 km/ 5km see: http://www.hanmerevents.co.nz/Races/2015-4squarehalfmarathon-2.html
- Sat 14th May Cross country run at Rabbit Island The Wallace Shield 1 (Organised by Waimea Harriers). Approx 6 km. Starts at 2.30 p.m. (no need to be a member)
- Sun May 15th the Takaka Hill Run (free event & hosted by Athletics NN) just turn up & do it! Approx 15km…..UPHILL! http://athletics.nelson.co.nz/2013/summer-series (no need to be a member)
- Sat 21st May Swan Trophy – 10km road race out & back on the Maitai Valley. Start at Branford Park at 2.30 p.m. Organised by Athletics Nelson (no need to be a member)
- Sat 28th May Wallace Shield 2 – Rabbit Island (W) as above for Sat 14th (no need to be a member)
- Sat 04th June Pub Run – Sprig & Fern Mapua Approx 8 km organised by Athletics Nelson. Start 2.30 p.m. Just turn up, (no need to be a member)
- Sun June 5th The Chch marathon/half marathon/10km http://www.christchurchmarathon.co.nz/info/race-day/
- Sat 11th June 11 the very popular Parkers Shield cross country (approx 10 km) at Happy Valley, Cable bay. Organised by Athletics Nelson (no need to be a member)
- Sun 12th June Mt Vernon Grand Traverse, Blenheim an 18km hill run up Mt Vernon, Wither Hills Farm park. With 950 meters of climbing and ascent to 422 meters. A challenging run!
Or if you enjoy ‘off road’ running you might want to join the local NELSON FELL (as in English name for hills) RUNNERS FACEBOOK GROUP. We’re very active! See: https://www.facebook.com/groups/164781800368993/
Parking: please note that there will no parking ‘at the rear’ (i.e. behind) The Honest Lawyer on event day, although there should be ample parking in the main park & nearby reserve car park. You may also park on the Stoke side of the Songer St overbridge & walk over (approx 200m). Please be considerate & careful if arriving between 8 a.m. & 8.30 a.m. as the walkers & early starters will be heading off then & cross the main vehicle entrance way to the Honest Lawyer twice!
The Barn Building at the rear of THE HONEST LAWYER country pub and restaurant will be Race HQ for the day. Only a few toilets here!
Prize giving will commence at approx 3 p.m. and, weather permitting, will be held outside.
Spot prizes will be randomly drawn throughout prize giving with spot prizes having been donated by participants and, we hope, a couple of major spot prizes drawn at the end! It is hoped to be completed by 4 p.m.
Current Race Records:
Full Marathon Run:
Male: 2014 Brian Kemp 2hr 47m 16s (current holder of racey rabbit trophy)
Female: 2014 Colette Reid 3hr 18m 01s
Full Marathon walk mixed:
2015 Bevan Cook 5hr 10m 38s
Marathon 2 person Relay mixed :
Run: 2015 Alan Bryson & Pogo Patterson-McCauley 2hr58m 46s
Walk: 2015 Elaine & John Llewellin 5hr 24m 05s
Well, that’s about it for now!
I will continue to put out info. Via the website and Facebook page as we get closer to the date for the event! Please check in for any updates!
Stu Cottam 🙂